What is different about my apple crumble recipe? I have made the quantities as 2 tsp, 2 Tbsp, 2 of each so that it's easier to remember, measure, and follow the recipe. My recipe also uses less sugar while being moderately sweet and less butter while being just as delicious.
Apple Crumble (Apple Crisp) Recipe
Adapted from foodnetwork
2 apples = about 3 cups, peeled and chopped, sliced, or thickly grated
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour + 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp brown sugar + 2 Tbsp white sugar
2 Tbsp walnuts + 2 Tbsp almonds
2 pinch cinnamon powder + 2 pinch salt
2 Tbsp butter, cold, cut in small pieces
0. Preheat oven to 350F. It helps to keep a cookie sheet underneath the baking dishes or below the rack so that in case the apples ooze any liquids it drips onto the cookie sheet and doesn’t spoil your oven.
1. Make the filling: In a medium bowl toss apples + lemon juice + white sugar. Divide mixture into 4 oven-safe bowls, ramekins, or mini tart pans for individual servings, or in a baking dish to bake at once.
2. Make the topping: In the same bowl, flour + brown sugar + all nuts + cinnamon and mix. Add cold butter pieces and rub quickly or use a fork or pastry cutter so that the butter is cold yet mixes well and pea-size lumps or breadcrumbs-like texture is formed. Divide mixture equally onto the apple filling. Don’t mix, don’t stir.
3. Bake: at 350F for 20-25 mins if small individual portions or 35-40 mins if large portion until apple tender and crust is golden brown. Keep an eye around that time, could need more or less. You can’t do a toothpick test on this, so your judgment will be based on how the crust is browning.
4. Serve: Once done, transfer to wire rack. Serve apple crumble warm or at room temperature, with sour cream, ice cream, or as I did – with simple homemade greek yogurt.Sweet apple crumble with a non-flavored, mild yogurt balanced the sweetness for me. But choice of serving totally up to you – apple crumble or apple crisp can be totally relished on its own! Now imagine one bite of apple crumble: the sweet, tender apples with a crunchy nutty
You can add so many flavors and variations to an apple crumble. Add cinnamon, vanilla bean, lemon zest, nutmeg or a combination of flavors in the filling. Add your choice of nuts, müesli, oats, cranberries, or any other variations to the filling. You can try Gordon Ramsay's method to cook the filling, layer it with the topping, then continue to bake too, but I prefer the quick and easy toss-layer-bake method.
Remember to choose good cooking apples. Choosing the wrong kind of apples that are not meant for cooking or baking could ruin the taste. Generally Granny Smith apples are good for baking.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Come connect with me! on Facebook | Email | RSS | Twitter