When Alok tried few of these graham crackers (while there were still plenty remaining!)...
Alok: can you make more of these?
Alok: is it difficult to make?
Me: not at all.
Alok: so addictive.
I adapted the graham crackers recipe from Joyofbaking.com but used only whole wheat flour instead of the all-purpose flour and wheat bran, reduced the butter and sugar, and the graham crackers were wonderful while being moderately sweet - just perfect for us. Even though these are a little thicker than what graham crackers are supposed to be, they still had the light cracker-texture and ground easily when I pulsed them to make a cheesecake base. Obviously since we're not using graham flour or wheat bran here these can't be an exact replica of store-bought graham crackers but they're close, and they're healthy.
Homemade Graham Crackers
Adapted from Joy of Baking
174 gm whole wheat flour
50 gm granulated sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2.5 oz cold butter cut in small pieces
1 Tbsp honey or syrup [I used waffle syrup]
2 to 2 ½ Tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
Pinch cinnamon powder (optional)
1. Mix dry: flour + sugar + baking powder + baking soda + salt.
2. Add butter cubes, mix to make crumb-like texture (without melting butter) – a food processor does a better job at this than forks or fingers.
3. Add syrup + milk + vanilla extract + cinnamon (if using) and make dough just until it all comes together. Don’t over knead.
4. Divide dough into 2-3 portions as many as you want to work on at a time. Roll the dough out thin (about 3 mm) on a parchment paper cut horizontally and vertically using pizza wheel or knife. You can measure the length and width and roll out to exact size and cut to equal dimensions but it was not a concern to me. Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 350F. Remove the rolled out and scored dough from refrigerator, prick with fork (or don't, up to you), and place the parchment paper on cookie sheet for baking as is (you don’t need to space the crackers out).
7. Bake in a preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes (or more, as required) at 350F until light brown or golden brown. If you work on two batches on two cookie sheets at a time, remember to rotate the sheets and swap on racks halfway through baking time for even baking. Let graham crackers cool on sheet for 5 minutes then transfer onto cooling rack until totally cool before storing in an airtight container.
You have to make these to believe me how simple making these graham crackers are. Mix ingredients, gently knead, roll out, cut in pieces, refrigerate, prick or don't prick, bake, and you're DONE. The next time you need graham crackers for pies or cheesecakes and don't want to buy store bought crackers because you're going to have a hard time finishing them up - divide this graham cracker recipe in half and bake 'em.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Come connect with me! on Facebook | Email | RSS | Twitter